Powered By Blogger

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Book Review: A Plain Disappearance

The book A Plain Disappearance by Amanda Flower is the third in the series The Appleseed Creek Mysteries. This was my first exposure to the author and the series. Despite not being familiar with the characters and their histories, I was able to follow along and enjoy the mystery.

The story is about a young woman, Chloe Humphreys, who lives in an Amish community in Ohio, though she is not Amish. Her life is further entwined in the Amish culture because she is dating a young man who left the Amish faith prior to his baptism. This allows him to continue living and working in association with his family.

A young girl is murdered in this quiet community, and Chloe finds herself in the middle, assisting the police chief in solving it. Apparently she has come to the aid of the police in both of the previous books. The interplay between the characters seems to have developed over the course of the series, so as I read, I found myself wondering about what had happened in the previous books. This doesn't detract too much from the story, although I do think I would have enjoyed the story more had I read the first two books.

The crime is solved in the very last few pages, which feeds the reader's desire for a good whodunit intrigue. The characters are relatable, and the writer's style is enjoyable and makes the reading experience pleasant. I plan to pick up the first two novels in the series, and then look forward to what happens next in Appleseed Creek!

I received this book for the purpose of this review. I was not required to write a favorable review.

No comments:

Post a Comment